Valentine’s Day is, by far, my favorite holiday. Perhaps it’s all the fun crafting, the reds and the pinks and the fact that I love hearts! Or maybe it’s the opportunity to create and give a simple gesture of love. These DIY Valentine stamps are simple to make and can be used to create so many different cards to give.
This project is easy for my 9 and 11 year olds to do independently. Younger kids may need help creating their stamp. But, once the stamp is created, it can be used for years to come by kids of all ages.
Craft Foam – You’ll only use a bit for each stamp.
Markers – for drawing hearts onto the foam.
Scissors – We used fairly sharp ones. an adult may have to help
School glue – we used Elmer’s Glue
You probably have most of these on hand, already.
How-To Create a DIY Valentine Stamp:
- Have your kids draw a heart onto the craft foam. You can have them practice a bit on paper if they need some help. Marker is best for this.
- Cut the heart out just outside of the line.
- Glue the cut out heart to another piece of foam – this just makes the stamp a bit thicker. Let the glue dry and then cut out your double stack heart–this is your stamp!
- Glue the heart onto a piece of thick cardboard just larger than the heart itself. Let dry.
- Your diy valentine stamp is ready to use!
You can use regular stamp pads or paint! Wipe your stamp when you want to change color to keep your stamp pads neat and tidy. We use our stamps on plain paper, patterned paper, cardboard, and vintage lined paper. This is when it really gets fun!!
Creating is still a great way for me to spend some quality time with my growing boys. My 9 and 11 year olds can still be wrangled to sit and make cards with me, although now the cards primarily go to relatives. I love how we all sit at a table with supplies spread out, experimenting with patterns and surfaces. As they grow, I give them a bit more freedom to use materials as they wish. Theses DIY Valentine stamps make a great tool to be used in so many ways!!
Try this out with your kids! You will not be disappointed. I’d love to see what you create. Upload your stamps to Instagram with #heyfuzzymama. Happy Valentine’s Day from my family to yours!