Yummy Date Walnut Bars (Grain free and Dairy free!)
These Date Walnut Bars are a new favorite around here! With just four ingredients, this recipe is so easy you can even fudge on the amounts and still come up with something delish.
I love snacks for my kids that come from real ingredients and skip the grains and dairy. Our family is not strict paleo, but I do try to keep sugar and grains and processed junk to a minimum as we follow our ADHD Diet. These Date Walnut Bars are perfect for a snack or a treat — and I don’t mind handing out seconds!
Date Walnut Bars
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dried dates
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/3 cup (or so) coconut flour
- Chocolate chips as desired(we used dairy free chips)
- Soak dates in hot water for about 10 minutes to soften. Remove pits if needed.
- Place walnuts and dates in a food processor and blend until a paste develops.
- Add coconut flour and blend until flour is completely mixed in. You may need to add more or less flour depending on your taste.
- Remove mixture and press into a glass baking dish(ours is 6″ by 8″).
- Press in chocolate chips as desired. Mini chips work well, too.
- Refrigerate for an hour, cut and enjoy!
Store these guys in the fridge. They tend to get a little mushy if they are kept out too long. Which means, if you are packing these for lunch, make sure you have a good cold pack in there with them.
These bars fall in the treat category when loaded with chocolate chips. I make a version with about a third of the chips you see here for a bit “healthier” version.